Item added to "My List"
You are now leaving In-Store. Your In-Store order will be waiting for you when you're ready to check out.
You are now leaving Ship-to-Home. Your Ship-to-Home order will be waiting for you when you're ready to check out.
You are now leaving Curbside & Delivery. Your Curbside or Delivery order will be waiting for you when you’re ready to check out.
A simple method that uses steam to cook large pieces of meat at lower temperatures.
1. Select a roast of uniform shape, weighing 2 to 4 pounds.
2. Use a pot just large enough to hold the roast. Heat a small amount of oil in a stockpot over medium heat.
3. Season meat or dust in seasoned flour. Place in heated oil and slowly brown roast on all sides. After browning, oil may be carefully wiped from pan with a paper towel.
4. Add about 1/2 cup of broth, wine, tomato juice, or water to pot.
5. Tightly cover the pot and cook over low heat on the stovetop, or in a 300 degree F oven, until meat is fork-tender. Cook for 1 1/2 to 3 hours.
6. Add vegetables during the last hour of cooking time.
View more braised recipes
Use this method to cook small pieces of less tender cuts. Cook gently and evenly over low heat while covered with liquid. Whole cuts may also be simmered with this method.
1. Coat meat lightly with seasoned flour. Meat may also be browned without flour coating.
2. Heat a small amount of oil in a stockpot over medium heat. Brown meat slowly on all sides.
3. Place meat in heated oil and slowly brown all sides. After browning, oil may be carefully wiped from pan with a paper towel.
4. Cover meat with liquid such as broth, water, or vegetable juice and bring to a boil.
5. Tightly cover pot. Reduce heat to low or place in 300 degree F oven. Cook covered for 1 to 3 hours, until meat is fork-tender.
View more stew recipes
How to Cook Brisket - 4 Ways
Find how to grill and braise brisket, including cooking times, temperatures, and preparation.
Guide to Dry Heat Cooking Methods
Learn how to cook meat with dry heat and find cooking tips from H-E-B.
How to Cook with Wine
See how to use old wine for cooking and learn more about making marinades and vinaigrettes with wine.
How to Make Paella
Learn how to make authentic paella and find 5 easy paella recipes with step-by-step instructions on creating an aromatic sofrito to getting that crispy, caramelized rice crust.
How to Dry Brine a Turkey
H-E-B Chef Scott demonstrates how to dry brine a turkey and the difference between dry and wet brine.
How to Grill the Perfect Steak
Learn how to cook the prefect steak and find cooking tips from H-E-B.
How to Crack Lobster
H-E-B Chef Brent shows you quick and easy tips to crack open a lobster and remove the meat.
How to Make and Use Citrus Salts
Just a zest of your favorite orange, lemon, lime or grapefruit takes typical salt to bright, colorful (and yes, tangy) new heights.
Sign up to receive exclusive email-only savings and information.