San Antonio Native Wins $5,000 for Herself & $5,000 for Local Environmental Nonprofit, Keep San Antonio Beautiful
From March 19-30, H-E-B asked its customers to create a short, unique video explaining either how they remember to use their reusable bags or how H-E-B can help customers remember their reusable bags. The winning videos will be featured on the H-E-B YouTube account, and winning ideas may be incorporated into H-E-B's business plan.
The H-E-B Earth Day winners are as follows:
Grand Prize: Jenna Blackwell, San Antonio - $5,000 for herself and $5,000 for Keep SA Beautiful
First Place: Scott Evans, Dallas/Ft Worth- $500 H-E-B gift card and reusable bag filled with H-E-B Organics & Central Market Organics products
Second Place: Ashley Elizabeth Vermeulen, San Antonio - $250 H-E-B gift card and reusable bag filled with H-E-B Organics and Central Market Organics products
Runner Up: Yvonne Gonzalez, San Benito - $100 H-E-B gift card and reusable bag filled with H-E-B Organics and Central Market Organics products
"We are always looking for creative ways to get customers involved in our companywide mission to take better care of the state we so proudly call home," said Kim Harle, H-E-B Public Affairs. "H-E-B remains committed to environmentally sustainable business practices both in-store and out."
In addition, H-E-B has continued to facilitate a checkstand tear pad campaign in partnership with EarthShare of Texas, a non-profit that supports dozens of respected environmental and conservation groups. Customers can choose to donate $1, $3 or $5 at checkout to be added to their grocery bill.
From Earth Day plastic bag recycling contests in schools, to story times for children, neighborhood clean-ups and tree plantings, H-E-B is working hard to educate customers about the importance of being good environmental stewards.
Please continue to enjoy watching our Top 10 Finalists!
Grand Prize Winner
Did You Know?
1. Plastic bags were introduced into supermarkets in 1977.
2. Depending on the size and type of product, reusable bags can replace two or more plastic bags.
3. The average American family takes home almost 1,500 plastic shopping bags a year.
4. Just one cloth bag, during the course of its lifetime, will eliminate the need for more than 1,000 plastic bags!
5. You can repurpose Reusable Shopping Bags for more than just groceries! You can always use them as a laundry bag, wine tote, packing picnics, organizing kids toys, etc.