According to the American Dietetic Association, the goal isn't to eliminate fat entirely.
It's an essential nutrient, needed for energy and the transport of vitamins. The important
thing is not to overdo it.
Want to keep your beef diet trim? Here's the latest from the folks at the Texas Beef
Council. Once for ounce, beef can be as lean as chicken - if you choose the right cut and
cooking methods. In fact, you can control how lean the beef you eat is by taking a few simple
- Look for cuts described as loin or round.
- Buy ground beef that's 90 percent lean.
- Cut fat an additional 50 percent by trimming away visible fat before cooking.
- Use low-fat cooking methods like baking, broiling, roasting, braising, and grilling.
- One serving of beef is 3 ounces, the size of a deck of cards.