Add healthy ingredients to common foods and favorite recipes.
- Add extra vegetables to soups, salads, sandwiches, pasta and rice dishes. In doing so, you will add fiber and vitamins. More vegetables and less meat also makes meals cost less.
- Add fruit to breakfast cereal, pancakes and waffles.
- Add dried fruit to salads and baked goods.
Replace a less healthy ingredient with a healthier one.
- Use skim or 1% milk instead of whole milk.
- Use two egg whites instead of one whole egg.
- Try a sugar substitute instead of sugar.
- Use herbs instead of salt.
- Try brown rice instead of white rice.
- Try low-fat versions of mayonnaise, salad dressing, milk, sour cream, cheese and cream cheese instead of the regular variety.
- Choose a whole grain corn tortilla rather than flour.
What's a favorite recipe where you could replace a less healthy ingredient with a healthier one?
Decrease or cut out a less healthy ingredient if it isn't needed.
- Use less butter, lard, margarine and mayonnaise in recipes. Try a lighter oil, such as canola or olive oil.
- Take skin off chicken.
- Cut down on cheese in mixed dishes.
- Use less salt in foods and recipes.
What's a favorite recipe where you could decrease or eliminate a less healthy ingredient?