| || |
Here are some of the ways we're living reduce, reuse, recycle:
- We've reduced more than 63 million pounds of harmful air pollutants and diverted more than 1.2 million tons of waste from landfills—more than the annual waste produced by 395,000 households—by recycling materials including aluminum, steel, plastic, oil, cardboard, and computers since 2006.
- Our cardboard and plastic recycling efforts saved the equivalent of 18 million trees, 1.74 million barrels of oil, 10.7 cubic yards of landfill space and 618 million kilowatt hours (kWh) of energy per year. The energy savings alone are enough to power more than 55,000 homes for a year.
- By increasing the number of items that go into each bag at checkout, we have reduced the number of plastic bags we use. Adding just one more item to the bag saves us 308 million bags per year!
- Many of our stores have composting programs.
- In 2013 we recycled 5.9 million plastic bags! In addition, we provide in store recycling for plastic bags, newspaper sleeves, outer wrap, 6 pk. rings, and dry cleaning bags. Each store has specially marked containers for customer deposit.