| || |
Here are some of the ways we're living reduce, reuse, recycle:
- We've reduced more than 41 million pounds of harmful air pollutants and diverted more than 790,000 tons of waste from landfills—more than the annual waste produced by 395,000 households—by recycling materials including aluminum, steel, plastic, oil, cardboard, and computers since 2006.
- Our cardboard and plastic recycling efforts saved the equivalent of 11.7 million trees, 1 million barrels of oil, 6.8 cubic yards of landfill space and 387 million kilowatt hours (kWh) of energy per year. The energy savings alone are enough to power more than 34,000 homes for a year.
- By increasing the number of items that go into each bag at checkout, we have reduced the number of plastic bags we use. Adding just one more item to the bag saves us 308 million bags per year!
- Many of our stores have composting programs.
- We replaced 84 existing toilets at our corporate headquarters with low flow toilets and anticipate a savings of 1.5 million gallons of water per year.
- We save 828,000 gallons of water each year by keeping the truck wash cycle time below 5 minutes per wash.
- In 2009 we donated more than 1 million reusable bags! In addition, we provide in-store recycling for plastic bags, newspaper sleeves, outer wrap, 6-pack rings, and dry cleaning bags. Each store has specially marked containers for customer deposit. In 2011, H-E-B and its customers recycled 4.1 million plastic bags!