Wouldn't you love to come home to the wonderful aroma of a flavorful, savory dinner ready in
the kitchen? It's easy when you use a slow cooker. Try these tips to adapt your recipes to the
- Reduce liquids by half. One cup of liquid is usually enough.
- Cube meat to ensure complete cooking.
- Vegetables cook more slowly than meat in a slow cooker, so place them in the bottom and
around the sides of your cooker. Then add the meat and the liquid.
- Dry beans should be cooked for 10 minutes before adding them to the slow cooker.
- Cook pasta and rice before adding to cooker. And add them at the end of cooking just to
- The flavor of leaf or whole herbs will intensify, so add half the amount. Add ground herbs
and spices during the last hour.
- Add dairy products, including milk and sour cream, during the last hour of cooking.
- Most uncooked meat and vegetable combinations will require cooking at least 8 hours on
If a conventional recipe says:
- Cook for 15 to 30 minutes: slow-cook on low for 4 to 6 hours or on high for 1 1/2 to 2
- Cook for 35 to 40 minutes: slow-cook on low for 6 to 10 hours or on high for 3 to 4
- Cook for 50 minutes to 3 hours: slow-cook on low for 8 to 18 hours or on high for 4 to 6